View Single Post
Old 01-16-13, 06:26 PM   #4
AC_Hacker
Supreme EcoRenovator

Default Heat Pump Test #1...

So I noticed that the heat pump had six chopped off wires coming out of it...

...and it looks pretty much like the setup for my Sanyo, which is an inverter technology unit... I assume that this one is not.

After meditating on the wiring diagram for an appropriate time to calm my mind, I decide that I should hook up power to this unit and see what happens.

I savaged a computer power cord (much too light for normal operation, but OK for testing).

I hook:
Green to Green
White to White
Black to Black

... seems like a safe way to proceed.

Then I make sure that there is no noise in my shop so I can hear if anything goes haywire, and I connect power.

No heartbreaking sizzle of frying Chinese components, no arcing to be seen or heard, no wafts of smoke rising from the unit. Just blissful silence.

So I look down closely at the circuit board...

...and I see a small green LED (green circle) blinking quietly, benevolently. We have power and all is peaceful.

I look closer, and I see a tiny button that is labeled "TEST KEY" (blue circle), which I suppose is the Chinese term that means "PUSH ME". So, I push it...

Nothing happens, and I regret ever going the 150 miles to get this unit, or ever getting involved in refrigeration and... AND IT STARTS RUNNING!

Oh yeah, the built in time-delay that all HVAC devices have to prevent damage. I must have told fifty people about that, not counting the forum postings... many thousands of people if I do count the forum.

So, as I quickly lunge to pull the plug, I notice that the fan is running and the compressor is making appropriate sounds.

I'm good to go, the unit has passed test #1!!!

NEXT STEP is to try to get some info on those control wires, and then to find an appropriate refrigerant-to-water HX.

I imagine that there is some kind of three-step signal that controls the fan, that might also be useful to use to control a water pump.

Best,

-AC
Attached Images

Last edited by AC_Hacker; 01-16-13 at 06:31 PM..
AC_Hacker is offline   Reply With Quote