View Single Post
Old 05-14-17, 05:40 PM   #11
randen
Uber EcoRenovator

Wyrtwister

The truck cost me $6k and batteries $3.4k and all the incidentals I really never kept track. I went through a few IGBT moduals and though a few circuit board re-builds maybe another $3K.
A new Chevy Volt charger. Some body work to remove a big ding in the box.

When I get on a project like this I don't quit because that would mean every cent that I have invested to that point is wasted. Not to mention the time!!!

I could have bought a Nissan Leaf for less but I needed a small truck for my work. I really didn't think it was going to take me this long to get it operational. Although I think I have beat the leaf with performance!!

Would I do it again?? HMM with the experience I have now, it gets you thinking. I know where there is one sitting in a field. It is a really nice little truck. Hmm a little truck or infact a larger with Tesla stuff. Oh but Tesla has said they maybe manufacturing a pick-up truck in 2020. It may take me longer!!!???

The batteries don't warm much in operation or in charging and I'm drawing current from two packs so even less energy wasted in heat. The problem is charging cold batteries for the Chevy Volt Lithium maganese chemistry is a huge deal. The batteries are NEVER to be charged below 0 Deg.C. So the remedy is warming with circulating heated coolant through the cells before starting the charge. Its simple enough, just like an old block heater.!!

At this moment I don't have that equipment connected but it was in the plan and all the pieces are there. I just didn't want to deal with all that slippery antifreeze mess incase I needed to pull it all apart.

There is a lot of expert advice out there about the battery degradation for so many reasons. I don't pay any attention to that unless is credible first hand knowledge. There are a lot of individuals out there just typing themselves smart!!!

Randen

randen is offline   Reply With Quote