View Single Post
Old 01-15-15, 12:38 PM   #33
oil pan 4
Land owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Pole_Guy View Post
Something to keep in mind is reflectivity and emisivity of an item in the picture. Window glass is highly reflective and a thermal picture of it is not accurate at all. You will see a reflection of what's around it and not a true heat signature.
Precisely. I see it all the time with the flir i7 I use at work. Glass and shinny stainless steel are highly deceptive.
In a few places flat black vinyl stickers have been attached to the stainless steel piping and surfaces, because it will read 80'F when reality its more like 135'F, or the stainless will be reflecting the temperature of a near by surface giving a totally false reading.

For home windows I would try to tape a sheet of paper to the window to get a real indication of the temperature.

I guess I can try taping a sheet of paper to a reflective surface at work and testing it with the i7 and see if it actually works.
I think a square of paper taped next to one of those vinyl stickers would be the ideal test to see if the sheet of paper can transfer and emit a heat signature from a reflective surface like the black vinyl stickers.
oil pan 4 is offline   Reply With Quote