View Single Post
Old 09-30-13, 10:11 AM   #8
AC_Hacker
Supreme EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikesolar View Post
Just to clarify some of AC comments, any of the the so called "1/2 inch" PEX tubes can use each others fittings as they all meet the CSA/UL standard.
I edited my post to say that Uponor "offers a tool"... It's not required.

But, on the Oxy-Barrier issue, I have searched high and low for something that resembled science regarding the oxy/no oxy issue, and this was as close to science as I could find:

Quote:
Q. Do I need an "oxygen barrier" tubing?

A. Studies indicate that if water temperatures remain below 140 degrees, no significant amount of "oxygen diffusion" will occur. An OPEN system using a stainless steel water heater (i.e. Polaris) as a heat source will suffer no negative effects from oxygen diffusion in any case. However, radiant systems using higher water temperatures would probably benefit from oxygen barrier tubing. So would a steel boiler in a CLOSED configuration because that type of boiler is more vulnerable to oxidation than a cast iron boiler. As a result, oxygen barrier tubing could prolong the life of the boiler.

In addition, some municipal codes simply require oxygen barrier tubing in any radiant system. This despite the fact that none of the experts seem to agree on how much, if any, damage is being done to the radiant system. As mentioned above, at normal, low radiant temperatures, oxygen diffusion is minimal. Is it worth spending more on tubing in order to, maybe, prolong the life of the system? Especially since non-barrier tubing has been used for years in low temperature systems without any reports of accelerated damage.
Radiant Heat From Radiant Floor Company - Radiant Heating FAQ
Early failure in steel expansion tanks does seem to be a oxy problem, but apparently by using a potable water expansion tank with non-barrier tubing seems to do the trick.

But I'm still curious about the sludge thing...

Could it be oxy reacting with anti-freezing additives?

-AC