View Single Post
Old 06-27-13, 08:53 AM   #3
Elcam84
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Where you are I would not rely on a heatpump for heat. They work great for mild temps but once the temps start getting below freezing it gets much harder for it to heat. (I still have relatives north of Detroit)

Since you have what I assume is a good not to old furnace I would go ahead and get a heat pump condenser and coil. These days most all coils are set up for heat pump use so that usually isn't an extra cost. And also many condensers aren't that much more for a heat pump version. I think eventually the straight cool condensers will be very rare as it's cheaper and easier to make just one type of unit.

The reason I would go ahead and go that route even with the issues I mentioned is because for very little extra you can get the heatpump and now you have 3 forms of heat and can switch between whatever is cheapest or if one quits you have a backup. Heat pumps are light years better than what they were 15 years ago. In fact here because of the price of nat gas it's often cheaper to run a heat pump than it is a gas furnace even though our elec rate in the winter goes up due to lower demand.(usually 3 cents higher in winter)

Bryant is a good brand. In fact there are only two brands that I wouldn't own myself these days and that's York and Ammana and that is from repair/install experience. Goodman used to be a poor unit but since it's part of the Amana group it has gotten much better to where It's comparable with many high priced units. I don't have a problem recommending them now.
My favorite for bang for the buck is Payne. They have retrofit kits that come with everything including disconnect, whip, and a new pad.

One thing to look for in any unit is not so much price these days as paying for a name gets you just a name on the unit but don't go over 16 seer. The reason is 16 is the break point right now for value easy install and reliability. As the seer goes up so does the complexity and the failure rate goes up exponentially. Some brands if the board dies you have to order it from the factory as it has to be programmed for your specific unit and it has been known to take up to 3 weeks to get them delivered. Can you live without AC or heat for that long?
Elcam84 is offline   Reply With Quote