View Single Post
Old 11-16-11, 09:10 PM   #2
AC_Hacker
Supreme EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by orange View Post
...I have decided to go with a gas fired condensing hot water tank. They seem to run about $2000, are up to 96% efficient, and are dual duty heating and hot water.
I've looked at those too, pretty good way to go, I think.

I'd like to see the specifications on the unit you've found.

Quote:
...there are difficulties with finding an air to water heat pump that can do radiant water heat. Also then we would still need a hot water heater. And there's the problem of when it's too cold for the heat pump.
There is a unit that will do air to water, and it will do hot water too, and it's range of operating conditions is quite impressive. Unfortunately, so is it's price, but new tech usually come down, eventually (like after you've spent all your money).

But the unit is called the Daikin Altherma

Quote:
...later when we have scads of cash to get a heat pump that can do the job of air to hot water heating.
I think you pretty much understand the price point for one of these puppies.

Quote:
...heat pump hot water heater... stealing heat from your house to heat the water...
If you live in a moderate, marine type climate, a heat pump water heater would be a pretty good fit, for heating water.

However, it might not handle heating your house, unless your house is on the small size and is very well sealed and insulated.

It sounds like you already have the radiant installed, in the floor I would presume?

Do you already know how much heat it takes to get you through Janurary?

How many square feet is your place and how well is it insulated?

Have you looked at how much sustained heat output your condensing water heater is capable of?

I live in Portland, Oregon, so my weather picture is probably similar to yours.

So up your way, what does a 'cold snap' look like? How cold will it get, and how many days will it hang on?

Also, there is a heating calculator you might want to check out, too, for comparison purposes.

Best,

-AC_Hacker