Thread: metal roof?
View Single Post
Old 06-08-13, 04:40 PM   #10
randen
Uber EcoRenovator

Default No asphalt shingles here thanks

The shop I had constructed in 1987 with the cheapest barn steel roof is still holding back the weather. With the corrigations the roof isn't noisy (I had lived in the upper messinan above the offices while building a new house.) Right next to the roof. A good position to qualify any noise during rainstorms.

If I had asphalt shingled the shop roof I'd be considering the third roof.

My neighbor is on their fourth roof since I've had this property. Everyone seems to go through those calculations one metal roof that will last FOREVER. or asphalt. We all seem to want to recycle, reduce landfill waste etc. but that landfill we routinely call roofing should be seriouslly considered. Stop the cycle!!!

I have helped friends shingle their roofs. That case of beer and hot dogs are not worth it And to have to think, we'll need renew the friendship in another 10-15yrs.

There are a few good options aluminum/steel PVC and composite materials. Some with life spans garanteed 100 yrs. I saw aluminum roofing shingles with a sound damping material on the reverse side finished in a copper coloured anodizing. Wow that looked great!!

Even some of the high rib barn steel looks good. I have seen it on some homes and it would be quiet reasonable cost wise. And that barn steel should last the life of the house.

I couldn't believe my eyes this spring a century home with slate roofing being removed and asphalt shingles being installed. What a sin. Replacing a slate roof that had stood 100 yrs. to a asphalt shingle that might last 15 yrs. Why wouldn't they just repair that beautiful slate.???

My home is very unique for this area. I have a flat roof. Its a white welded PVC membrane. 40 yr warrenty. The roof is actually sloped toward the centre and thats were the rain water is collected and drained with a 6" dia tube running in the truss void down inside the wall and out to the field drain. The tube is not visable. If someone desired ,you could collect the water in a large cistern and it would be potable (soft water no conditioning required). There are no gutters to maintain. The interior collection is likely cheaper to install than gutters and down pipe. Another plus to this roof is being white its cool in the summer saves on the airconditioning.

I was on the roof a couple months ago checking the solar panels and the roof looks as good as the day it was installed 15 yrs ago. If it was asphalt I would be thinking about replacing it.

IMHO asphalt shingles are landfill, just a (cheap) short term solution to protect our largest and most longterm investment, our homes!!

Randen

Last edited by randen; 06-08-13 at 04:51 PM.. Reason: punctuation
randen is offline   Reply With Quote