View Single Post
Old 02-10-16, 05:20 AM   #6
SDMCF
Apprentice EcoRenovator

@MEMPHIS91: You are right, this arrangement probably doesn't move a great deal of air although I have no way of measuring how much air it does move. A ceiling fan should move a lot more. The advantage of the tube is lower cost and a more discreet installation - but of course that doesn't matter if it doesn't work. Perhaps it needs multiple tubes to move enough air.
I imagine a tube would work better with your 16ft ceilings. Why not try it?

@stevehull: I agree that the fans could make you feel colder. Certainly the air coming out of the bottom of the tube felt cool even though it cannot have been cooler than the air already at floor level. However, compared to a fan, a tube should make it easier to locate the air flow where you don't feel it directly.

@gtojohn: I did consider reversing the air flow through the tube but could see no reason why it might be better. I could test that I suppose, if you can convince me it might help.
Your point about the warmer air cooling as it goes down the tube is a good one, and something I had not considered. I should have had another temperature reading at the bottom of the tube. It could explain why the tube has little effect on the floor-level temperature.

Overall though I am disappointed with the results and - looking at the "no fans" graph - there seems to be less potential in this than I had imagined.
SDMCF is offline   Reply With Quote