View Single Post
Old 11-27-12, 12:45 AM   #1348
BradC
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff5may View Post
Now, my ASACHP suction runs in the 40-50 psi range on mild heating days. It has gotten down to 23 degrees f, at which time the suction pressure was closer to 35 psi. It used to peter out in heating mode around freezing temps. Now, I'm waiting for a cold snap to see how low it will go. If it doesn't pop another joint, that is.
Code:
If you are condensing at the same temperature, but you drop your SST then the compressor has to work harder to compress the gas (higher compression ratio), and therefore you increase your power consumption. That extra power gets dumped into the condenser as heat. Check your compressor current as you lower the suction pressure and watch it slowly climb.
<Edit>Scratch that last part, I think I'm wrong. I need to think about it some more. This forum does not seem to have a "strikeout" feature.

Interesting reading on those links you pointed at though. I'll certainly make some changes to my parameters to play with the superheat and see what sort of gains I can make. Last summer I was aiming around 2-3k, which from those docs is _way_ too low for R290.

Last edited by BradC; 11-27-12 at 02:10 AM..
BradC is offline   Reply With Quote