View Single Post
Old 05-04-12, 08:23 PM   #36
lucerne96
Helper EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xringer View Post
I've found that buying any new device is risky, if you rely on the government for your information.
Like expecting the EPA to provide accurate MPG numbers!!
I think it is better to get info from an independent testing source rather than simply relying on the information provided by the maker of the product. After all, they DO have a dog in the fight.

Unfortunately, other than a testing lab funded by the product manufacturer, or an entity like Consumer Reports, the only independent source with funding is the Government. It is foolish to assume that the GOV is incompetent. We make it incompetent when it is given a mandate and then no funds to implement that mandate.

Generally, you get what you pay for. The dollar store CFL/LED's are lousy; they hum, give off harsh light & don't last. Purchase those made by Cree or Phillips or another reputable manufacturer. For alot of people, the color of the light is more important than the energy savings, so the LIGHTING FACTS label helps the consumer understand what the actual product does. If it costs .02 cents more, on a $40 bulb, that is fine with me.

Last edited by lucerne96; 05-04-12 at 08:28 PM..
lucerne96 is offline   Reply With Quote