View Single Post
Old 07-16-15, 04:40 PM   #18
MEMPHIS91
Journeyman EcoRenovator

Thanks AC!
So after a bunch of brain storming this is what I have come up with. I suck at drawing 3d so bare with with as I explain.

I have 100 feet of 1 inch rubber industrial hose. Its rated for high pressure and high heat. My idea is to run 3/8 (or smaller/bigger) copper tubing inside of it and then coil the entire thing into nice loops. The ends are threaded so I would use a metal female 90 and drill a 3/8 hole so that the inner tube can come straight out and then braze that. It really would be like a tee, with the water flow making a 90 degree turn and the copper continuing straight out. I would do that on both ends of the hose. Giving me 1 inch of water flow over 100 feet of 3/8 copper tubing.
When I thought about it, it really is simple. My first idea that I posted had the refrigerant on the outside therefore the crazy pressures where acting on the copper tubing as well as the water pipe. When you put the water on the outside you only have to make the outer tubing water tight. I think this could even be done with pex, only downside is the pex is a pain to loop into tight loops, but if size didn't matter than pex should work great.

The main question is now (and what I am currently researching) how much surface area of copper tubing do I need with how much flow of water at 55-65F temp water.

EDIT: I just watch the youtube video. This is very very close to what I was thinking. Awesome idea with the wire on the outside. I wonder what would be better, parallel or counter flow? More research to do.
MEMPHIS91 is offline   Reply With Quote