View Single Post
Old 05-30-13, 09:40 AM   #23
Terralore
Lurking Renovator

Default Natures Airconditioner

I live in Upstate New York. Very hot and humid summers. I have a full renovated basement that stays a constant 54 degrees all year long. I have tried to fan the cool air upstairs (Ranch style Home). This works well on 80 degree days but on the hotter July and August humid days (90+) the upstairs temp climbs to 85+.

I have a forced hot air gas furnace with metal duct work and vents in each room on the main floor of my home with no fan only mode on the thermostadt.

So, I went to Home Depot, purchased a cheap energy star rated radon pump and 4" plastic pipe. Mounted the pump on my basement floor, in the bathroom near the incoming main house water supply line. (The coolest part of my basement)
I cut a hole in the ceiling and metal duct work, I installed a 4" vent ring used to mount on the roof for exhausting the radon out, and pumped that cool air in my duct work. Works like a constant A/C is on, cool air all the time, basement is less humid and all is good... P.S. Used a radon test kit first and have radon dector in place.
Terralore is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Terralore For This Useful Post:
FortyTwo (06-08-13), jeff5may (05-30-13)