View Single Post
Old 06-14-17, 08:45 AM   #25
Fordguy64
Journeyman EcoRenovator

We have officially closed on the new house. I'm going to take a side panel off of th ac unit as its so old it doesn't have a label on it. I'm going to see if I can figure out how many btu it is. The propane furnace has a sticker in it that says it's a 1992 model. I'm assuming the ac unit is the same age. It still works well but it's just a matter of time I feel. My quick estimation says that I'll need 2 tons for cooling. So it will be interesting to see what size is on the house now.

I haven't decided if I want to put this home made heat pump thing in the basement or in the barn out back. I'm leaning towards the barn just for home owners insurance reasons. The only downfall to this is that I'll have to do a lot of digging and a lot of insulated piping.. But we will worry about that in the next year or so. This winter I'll be working on insulating the barn and the oil burner. If I'm lucky I'll be able to play with the heat pump to.

If the house ends up being a 2 ton unit I'll start looking for heat exchangers in the 3 ton size range. That way I can use them for my 1 ton experiments and then use them when I go to the larger unit. The heat pump will be primarily used for cooling and only heating in the spring and fall when it gets cool at night. My main heat source wil e the oils burner. At least that's the plan for now
Fordguy64 is offline   Reply With Quote