View Single Post
Old 11-09-13, 01:52 AM   #15
AC_Hacker
Supreme EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN Renovator View Post
55369 Let me know what you find. We get plenty cold (and unfortunately humid and hot, high dew point in the summer) here.
Not knowing any better, I chose crystal Airport, MN as the place to collect relevant data.

Your average HDD is 8471, which for temperate US would qualify as deep winter.

In thinking about your scheme, I can see that a house that is well sealed and well insulated could enjoy a balance between normal humidity generated by living conditions, by tweaking the amount of fresh air in.

And with a house that is not well sealed and not well insulated, the energy that is going into very frequently raising the temperature of cold air... with it's large-scale drying effect, would not be offset by moisture generated by normal living.

It all has me considering some kind of heat recovery scheme, too. This could help further reduce the rate of heating cycles required to maintain temperature... and would probably have some, probably minor, effect on humidity balance.

So yes, a house with uncomfortably low humidity conditions is quite likely also a house with poor infiltration sealing and/or poor insulation.

-AC