View Single Post
Old 03-27-11, 02:38 PM   #5
Daox
Administrator

Whilst doing my flue damper testing I remembered I never put the blanket I bought for my water heater quite a while ago. So, I took some time this afternoon and wrapped it up. The instructions specifically say not to cover the top of a gas water heater, but I think I'm going to get some of it covered, but leave a decent gap between the flue and insulation so it can still get air. What are your guys thoughts?

Anyway, the blanket is rated at R-11, so its decently thick and its got the radiant barrier on it was well which should help out. I think the blanket was around $20. I'm anxious to see what the combination of pipe insulation and water heater insulation does to my gas usage during summer which is almost entirely water heating.

Here is the before shot of the heater.

First, I did my IR thermometer test again to see what was going on. I got my reference temperature of the wall next to the water heater first.

Then, I got the temperature at the top of the tank.

Then the bottom.

Here is the after shot.

And you can see how I had to cut around certain things.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote