Thread: ferrocement.
View Single Post
Old 05-13-13, 11:10 PM   #1
nibs
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Default ferrocement.

Last year had one heck (not the word I would say) of a time with a concrete wall. I got sick (whooping cough - yep) and after that none of my forms worked well. Did some studying throughout the winter and decided to do a ferrocement wall which will get backfilled with concrete against the existing abandoned foundation wall. The ferro wall will be formed on the ground and stood up. Did a 7ft by 3.5' small wall three days ago which I will lift into place (on top of a 6'high wall) in another week. The ferro wall will actually serve as a form for the insulating concrete filler that will go behind it. Quite anxious now, did the small pc using laminations of stucco mesh, and am hoping that I did not press the first layer in too far, so it will print through on the surface. I set the first layer into 1/4" of mud mixed at 1 to 1, not worried about the second layer it behaved as expected.
Lifting this pc will be easy it will just weigh a few hundred lbs. The next pc will be 16' by 9' tall, and am hoping to get a friend in with a back hoe, for the next pc which will weigh around 1600lbs.
Any thoughts?
Tony

nibs is offline   Reply With Quote