View Single Post
Old 07-02-16, 05:36 PM   #4
Spiv
Lurking Renovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiHaoMike View Post
That's a rather unusual combination. What's the average temperature for the months of the year? What about the underground temperature? Those factors will tell if it's worth going with geothermal as opposed to a conventional heat pump.

Do you expect to need any dehumidification?
Hello NiHaoMike,

I remember reading a survey from Singapore Airlines on which was considered the city with the best climate in the world and Perth came first, pari with San Diego (where, I see, you live).
We are at 32 degree South and the lot is on a small hill close to the Ocean, the microclimate here is different from even 2km further inland. The sea breeze and land breeze blow nearly every day mitigating the temperature. You can see here some statistics. Not sure how accurate they are, but the long term minimum average is 6.7° which seem correct.
I lived here 36y and rarely suffered from high humidity.
People used to have fireplaces or slow combustion stoves to warm the house in winter, but nowadays most use reverse cycle air conditioners, is that what you call a conventional heat pump?

The reason I am researching this system is my desire to use less grid-supplied electricity.
In the last 20y I built 6 two storey houses here, so I know how most things get done.
However, I am not stubborn and can change my mind easily if I am shown a better way.
Spiv is offline   Reply With Quote