View Single Post
Old 02-08-12, 09:51 AM   #86
AC_Hacker
Supreme EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daox View Post
Alright, that kinda makes sense. What if he were to run the system longer though? Obviously at some point the ~50° water would no longer be cool enough to condense water so the dehumidifying would stop, and then you would just have the cooling effect. Obviously not as good as traditional A/C, but the power consumption of my setup was rediculously low and COP was very high.

Well, I wasn't there to see his setup, but even though he had "insulated well", it would have helped the situation if he had insulated more. So, you had the higher RH, and there was cooling, but not that much, and some heat was continuing to enter... As you can see from the pic above, he has plenty of reason for the RH to be high.

And so his ground loop had already done a lot of the 'heavy lifting' by lowering the air temperature, and at very little expense... if he had hacked a medium-sized dehumidifier, so that the evaporator coil was in the air path after his converted fan, and the condenser coil was outside of the building envelope, I think it would have made a large difference in comfort, with a modest energy penalty.

So, are you trying to use sump water to cool the basement, or the whole house? And what is the summer temp of your sump water, and how much of it (flow rate) do you have?

Randen used earth moving equipment and put in two trenches with about a bazillion feet of pipe in the ground... pretty major ground loop.

-AC_Hacker
Attached Images