View Single Post
Old 02-07-12, 09:32 PM   #82
AC_Hacker
Supreme EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piwoslaw View Post
That way you could cool/dehumidify the whole house by turning on the furnace fan.
In the 'Manifesto' thread, randen initially tried using water straight from his ground loop to cool his shop... it was an idea that many of us at EcoRenovator have had before... difference is he actually tried it.

He ran the ground water through a converted heater that already had a fan... He found that it did lower the temperature of his shop, but the perceived humidity detracted from the comfort.

So what was happening is that the warm air went through the HX and it's temperature was lowered. When that happened, the ability of the air to carry water was reduced and he had condensation in the HX (he did report that a lot of water was coming out). So the air that was cooler, now had a higher relative humidity than before and perspiration-cooling was not working on the surface of the skin as effectively as before.

I think that at this point, a very small amount of mechanical dehumidification would have been very effective, and would have produced a large amount of comfort, compared to the energy used.

-AC_Hacker