View Single Post
Old 11-20-15, 01:12 PM   #1
stevehull
Steve Hull

Default lowering well pump pressure

I am in the process of designing a new home to replace the old drafty farmhouse we are currently living in as a stop gap measure. One of the issues is water pressure and its cost.

We use a geothermal heat pump in a pump and dump configuration. Water from well with 1.5 HP pump about 150 feet down. Produces about 15 - 18 gallons per minute. All I need for the GTHP is about 5-8 gpm max, pressure is not necessary.

From an energy perspective, moving water about is simple, just overcome the resistance of the pipe or conduit - providing pressure is expensive.

The current setting on the well relay is 40/60 psi and I am considering lowering it to 20/30. The only thing I "need" high pressure water for is a shower (25 psi water is really, really weak). But I can buy a pressure booster pump for ~ $100 and have that kick on just to shower valves (pump on shower light switch). Another run of PEX from the manifold is all it will take.

There are other advantages. The deep well pump lasts FAR longer and peak starting current is way less.

Anyone played around with this?

Steve

Last edited by stevehull; 11-20-15 at 02:32 PM..
stevehull is offline   Reply With Quote