View Single Post
Old 04-20-15, 09:56 PM   #83
ctgottapee
Helper EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xringer View Post
I made a mistake and put an old toothbrush up there on the part (spinning) that I could
see with my flashlight..
Face full of dirt! Yikes! Well, it's been up there running for about five years..

I'll have to kill the power with the vent doors open, so I can see the blades at rest.
They must be pretty dirty by now.

Let me know if you find a clever way to easily clean them.
My wire grid has horizontal bars (to shift the airflow three separate ways) so a toothbrush would take time. I tried can air but the gunk is pretty well stuck and coated on there.

The coil cleaner is a type that just dissipates through the condensate drain, but it doesn't really seem to touch the scroll fins. I tried dumping hot water through it - just pour it on top - as the condensate pan will catch it, but it must be rather shallow and the tubing is restrictive so you can't really soak it with force before it overflows.

I've been trying to work borrowing a small air compressor I can bring inside figuring that should have enough power to go at it.

They make a separate coil cleaner for the outside radiator, but I'm not sure how much better it is than say Lime Away or similar and a good power washer.
I ended up finding both cleaners in my local big box store, although the help didn't know they had them or much of what I was looking for. Online shipping and single item sizes made online ordering prohibitive.
ctgottapee is offline   Reply With Quote