View Single Post
Old 09-29-17, 10:00 PM   #5
where2
DIY Geek

Since you're not looking for extended term use out of many of these appliances, I'd wander through the Cincinnati Craigslist. We've been equipping our Maine farmhouse with random appliances we pluck out of South Florida.

Examples of appliances I've snagged:
Samsung dryer: $60 (it is white and included a pedestal). When I got it home, I replaced the belt, the rollers, and the heating element. (So basically, it's functionally new inside now). Tack on the parts, and I have about $120 in the dryer. It did cost me a 240 mile round trip to get it, but I got to have dinner with my sister and her family.

Samsung front load washer: $400, 15 months old! (This was part of an $1800 set. Matching dryer to this washer had issues, seller had the original retailer buy back the dryer after multiple issues arose. She dumped the washer cheap on CL to move it and get a new matching set in a different brand. Her loss, my gain, it was white and easy to match!)

Miele 24" stainless convection wall oven: $95 (ReStore located near a high end residential community with many high net worth seasonal residents. These residents change homes and appliances more often than I change light bulbs.)

Gaggenau 30" smooth surface drop in range: $100 (Found this at a different ReStore, with a different pricing structure. I let this one sit on the shelf and get down to $125 before I suggested it to my wife. I snagged it for $100 because I showed up on the day it was due to drop in price again!). Having cats, my wife didn't want a modern touch control smooth surface cooktop. The Gaggenau European styling with 1" knobs is functional, but cat-safe.

GE Profile black double wall oven $200. Scored this for a friend in Maine. He wasn't picky, and I snagged him a knob-less, modern design, pre-loved oven at a substantial discount over retail. He cared more about big and functional over color and brand.

Stoves/dishwashers: figure out which local big box gets the scratch and dent appliances, and check that store frequently. (Bought the Samsung Washer & Dryer we have used for 8+ years in our permanent home along with the pedestals as scratch & dent or clearance items at our local Lowes. Bought my sister a dryer there, a friend bought his Bosch dishwasher there, his mom got a Bosch washer there. Every one of these items was scratch/dent/clearance and priced to move). My wife scored an open box refrigerator for our farm this summer at the Lowes nearest the farm. Finding it conveniently coincided with having a 16' moving truck to deliver it herself. Since our farm is 80 miles one-way from the nearest big box hardware retailers, we don't qualify for "free delivery". We have a 5x8 flatbed utility trailer we use in the way most people use a pickup truck.

If you haven't figured out, I'm incredibly handy fixing things, which is why I'll drive 240 miles to go snag a non-working $60 dryer sitting on a pedestal. The $95 convection oven looked like it had been cooked in less than a dozen times. After I finished thoroughly cleaning it on my living room floor, it looked showroom new inside.
where2 is offline   Reply With Quote