View Single Post
Old 11-10-09, 11:15 AM   #21
AC_Hacker
Supreme EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daox View Post
...do you have the 1st or 2nd edition of Modern Hydronic Heating for Residential and Light Commercial Buildings? The first edition is a bit cheaper some places, but I'd wonder how much updating has been done for the 2nd edition.
I have the 2nd edition. I've not seen the first edition. I'd imagine the basics of radiant heating don't change much. If there was a third edition, with greatly expanded information on heat pumps as the prime heat source, that would be a different story.

I've also read Hydronic Radiant Heating. It is like sitting in a chair by a fire with an experienced hydronics installer and learning hydronics lore and rules of thumb from a seasoned pro. I found it to be interesting and enjoyable to read, but it is not a design manual. If a local library has it, you should read it. If they don't have it, you might request it. It does contain lore that you can use to double check any designs you come up with. For instance, who would think that there could be potential problems with hydronics in bathrooms? Seems like the best place to start... Well, hydronic installations, if not done mindfully, can cause the wax toilet sealing ring to melt, which causes obvious problems. (Now that I've written this, I realize that I would recommend this book, as an adjunct to a more thorough book, but it is not a systematic design manual)

AC_Hacker is offline   Reply With Quote