View Single Post
Old 02-19-14, 09:03 PM   #48
pinballlooking
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acuario View Post
Where I live it's regularly very windy, I'm not that far from the windiest place in Spain - if only I had known as I hate the wind.
I have seen more small cheap wind turbines with blades, tail fins, nosecones missing than I can remember. Nearly everyone here that has invested in one regrets it. A couple of years ago one was installed close to me that must have cost 5000+ euros. First winds it lost 2 blades. They did repair it but now it looks like it spends more time in braking mode than in generating mode.

The problem is the turbulent air and almost continually changing directions and gusts. It destroys conventional turbines.

The only ones that seem to survive are the vertical turbines - I have yet to see a broken one. they seem ideally suited to the 'type' of wind we have here.

Personally I always advise clients to buy a couple of extra pv panels as we tend not to suffer from a deficit of sun and here when it's windy in the day 9 times out of 10 it is also sunny.

Acuario
The wind always helps solar production. It seems to keep the panels cooler so the make more power.
pinballlooking is offline   Reply With Quote