View Single Post
Old 12-18-14, 08:48 AM   #1
bennelson
Home-Wrecker

Default Automatic Garage Door Openers + phantom load

Hi everyone.

I was looking at a thread about automatic garage door openers. Keeping in mind that "if it has a remote, it's always on", I wondered how much power my garage door opener uses while just sitting there - not opening the door and not having a light on.

Fortunately, mine is plugged in to an outlet right next to it, so it was very simple to plug in to a Kill-a-watt meter and check.

Turns out it uses three watts while just sitting there. Not that that's a terrible amount of energy, but it's 24 hours per day, 365 days a year.

It does come out to $3.38 per year on electricity used. The worst part is that my garage generally is not used for cars, but as workshop and storage space - meaning that I don't use the remote. Still, there is no man door, so the automatic garage door is the only way in and out.

Even if I turned off the automatic opener and popped the emergency handle to put it into "manual" mode - there's no handle on the door to get a grip on. *sigh*.

Anyways, I guess I'm wondering if anyone else has tested how much phantom load their garage door opener creates. Have you? How much?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
bennelson is offline   Reply With Quote