View Single Post
Old 11-21-19, 05:19 AM   #1
petehouk
Lurking Renovator

Default What happens when you want to remove your roof shingles

There is a similar thread about how to remove solar panels from your roof when it's time to move. I am wondering about how to remove and replace asphalt shingles when it's time for a new roof!

I am planning a new roof of asphalt shingles in spring 2020. I am just starting to plan a rooftop solar installation. I gather that the shingles go on first then I penetrate that brand new roof in order to attach the solar panels. I am not enthusiastic about that idea but my installer says that he has never, EVER, caused a leak.

I'm more worried about the long term. My roofing installer says that there's really no such thing as a shingle that lasts more than 20 or 25 years. ("You can buy a 40 year shingle, good luck collecting on that warranty.") The solar panels have a warranty for 30 years. I am not expecting them to pay for themselves in less than 15 years. That means I only have 5 years between when the panels are paid for and when I am scheduled to remove the panels, renew the roof, and reinstall solar panels.

Is that how this works? Or am I missing something?

petehouk is offline   Reply With Quote