View Single Post
Old 01-07-09, 10:33 AM   #15
jwxr7
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daox View Post
I think wind is a majorly underused source of power. Of course I've looked into small scale residential DIY kind of stuff. A simple wind setup would be a small windmill, charge controller, small battery bank, and a power inverter if you want to use 110V. The problem I always seem to have is what can you actually power with a simple wind setup? I'm thinking things like lights (CFLs of course) and fans. These things don't take lot of power but you find yourself using a lot. Anyone have any other ideas?
I have pondered this very subject many times. I've been looking into a diy around 800-900 watts with voltage levels of at least 120v (for long cable run). At the moment the best easiest way I see to use wind energy in the winter would be electrical resistance heating (small base board heater). In the summer though it could be a heating element in a water heater. Either way is not picky on AC or DC power or frequency, so you could make any type of generator work without inverting or rectifying. As long as you size the heater properly to work with your voltage and power level.
jwxr7 is offline   Reply With Quote