View Single Post
Old 03-03-11, 03:08 PM   #46
MN Renovator
Less usage=Cheaper bills

Interesting article, a good read. I always thought people normally kept their houses around 68(20c)-70 degrees with a few at 72(22c). It is interesting to read the average is 17.5C(63.5f) because other than myself and people on this site, I don't know anyone who keeps their house colder than 65 degrees. I don't think it would be too hard to get used to 60 degrees for someone young and in decent shape.

Personally, I've got things setup a little different at my place and during December had the house at 50 degrees (10c) and then ramped it up to 55 degrees when I was home but not sleeping or on my days off. In January I kept the house at 50 degrees with no setback and ran it up only when people were over, I got used to it. After some testing to be sure the pipes weren't getting close to freezing I ended up keeping the house at 40 degrees when not home and temps above zero and 45 degrees when sleeping and 50 when awake by the end of January.

All of February if it I was away from home and above zero outside 45 degrees and if below zero at 50 degrees, home 40 degrees unless below zero outside, I'd run the furnace for 30 minutes when taking a shower, and would only run 50 degrees when out and about with activity in the house. One day in February I used a -10 degree night as a test for design load sizing and raised the house to 80 to at least partially emulate a -20 outside and 70 degree inside temperature, I could live with a 40k 90+% efficient furnace based on the runtimes in my 2200sq ft house at those temps and if I got a 40k 2-stage I'd probably never leave lower stage unless its below -10 and I've got the temp above 60 degrees.

As far as getting used to the temperatures I've become used to 45 degrees as being 'a little chilly' with a t-shirt but comfortable to sleep in or with a sweatshirt and pants on, 50 degrees as being comfortable enough with a t-shirt and pants, 55 degrees feels like summer at 70 to me now. Going to work I'm feeling a little extra on the warm side but comfortable. I don't mind walking around the house at 40 degrees with a sweatshirt on but am comfortable in bed. ...Using a heated mattress pad and two thick comforter blankets stacked will make you sweat even at 40 degrees inside.

The article says -9 or lower, hypothermia. My house is currently 45 degrees (7c) and was 40 degrees(4.5c) earlier this morning. I'm still alive but I think that spending 4 months at consistently low temperatures is required to get used to this and also to survive in it.

...for the record, next year I'll have the ceiling/attic up to R-60+ cellulose and will probably keep the house at 65 degrees the whole winter. This year is mostly a test to see how low the bills could be for a 1 year period(probably $250 including fees and taxes for a year for the furnace and water heater). If I get a new condensing furnace(all 90%+ furnaces), I can't set the temperature below 55 degrees on setback or 60 degrees continuously according to their manuals so if I upgrade efficiency, I might be required to keep the temperature warmer just to allow my heat exchanger to operate at a safe temperature to prevent it from condescending in the primary heat exchanger. ...at least that's why I think the minimum is 55 degrees on setback or 60 continuous, not completely sure.
MN Renovator is offline   Reply With Quote