View Single Post
Old 01-16-12, 06:43 PM   #1
Ryland
Master EcoRenovator

Default Cost to install Air Source Heat Pump?

I'm trying to decide if I should get an air source heat pump, I'm not feeling up to hacking my own together and I'm not sure if my co-home-owner would go for it either, so I'm thinking of a mini-split to function as A/C and dehumidification in the summer and supplemental heat in the spring and fall when we only need to heat the house a little bit above the outdoor temp, I don't see it being worth competing with the low cost of running a natural gas furnace so running a heat pump in the colder parts of the year doesn't seem practical.
So what I'm looking at are the single head, 9,000BUT or so heat pumps and having it in the living room because that is the largest room in the house and is also on the north side of the house.
I can do all of the wiring and bolting everything together, but I've never worked with a refrigeration system before so that part I'd want to hire out, I'm also looking at units that are on the energy star list and seeing prices of $1,500 or so.
I think that last summer we ran the A/C maybe 25 or 30 days over the entire summer, an hour or so per day, but we also have the dehumidifier in the basement that is running a few hours per day so a heat pump that dehumidifies would make that run less as well in the summer.
So my main reason for asking these questions is to figure out if we should just go with buying a new energy star rated window a/c unit or is the long term savings of a mini split worth it.

Ryland is offline   Reply With Quote