View Single Post
Old 09-01-10, 01:31 PM   #1
benpope
Helper EcoRenovator

Default Insulating a crawlspace prone to flooding

Hi everyone,
I live in an 80 year old house located in the floodplain of a small creek. I am not exactly sure why, but but flooding wasn't a problem until about 2 years ago when I moved in. I think this is just a case of correlation, not causation. There has been development upstream from my house for the past 10 years--the biggest culprits I think are parking lots. Downstream, the city operates a pumping station that pumps the creek over a levee when water levels are high. The pump is as old as my house and we think it is getting overwhelmed.

Suffice it to say my crawlspace and partial basement have flooded 3 times in the past 2 years. The most recent time, water levels went above my crawlspace wall.

I am looking at sealing and insulating my crawlspace with an eye to:
  1. Reduce the risk of flooding
  2. Get rid of water when it does get in
  3. Insulate the crawlspace and add it to the conditioned space

I have started by putting down 6mil plastic on the dirt floor to make it a more pleasant working environment. Next I guess I will seal the plastic on the floor with some sort of adhesive, insulate the walls with foam board, insulate between the floor joists and the foundation wall, and run a vapor barrier from the top of the wall to the floor.

There is a pretty good slope to the crawlspace and water collects in a low point. I guess a sump pump is in order.

Anyhow, has anyone dealt with a similar situation or have any suggestions?

benpope is offline   Reply With Quote