View Single Post
Old 08-05-13, 09:48 PM   #36
where2
DIY Geek

Pinball Thanks for posting those links. I'll have to look into that too.

Trevor, first thing I would do to check your inactive panel is to disconnect the MC4 or Tyco connectors and look for voltage with a volt meter set to handle a 45V(DC) or higher voltage. If you have no voltage at the connectors, remove the panel and pop the cover on the diode box on the back of the panel and check the strings individually (unless the contents of the diode box are all sealed in plastic electronic potting material). Each adjacent pair of connections attaching to a diode should read identical voltage (in the 8-15V range), unless your hand or something is shading a string of 20 cells. If you have voltage in those 3 possible check points, then make sure the diodes are all fully seated. A diode may have rattled loose in shipping.

If there was any panel to have a problem with, I'd gladly take working on that one in the corner over one in the middle of the array! You should be able to get to the wiring fairly easily to do the test at the ends of the panel leads. Removing the MC4's is a little challenging, even with the proper prongs on the Enphase tool.

Last edited by where2; 08-05-13 at 09:52 PM..
where2 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to where2 For This Useful Post:
Korol (04-04-15)