View Single Post
Old 11-30-19, 10:30 PM   #7
n7mog
Lurking Renovator

I know this is a year later than the last post. I completed a project of adding 4" XPS to the outside of our manufactured home this year. It was built in 1988 with no wrapping at all and typical vertical 4x8 pressed siding. All "trailer house" double hung windows were replaced with Pella casement style windows in sizes smaller than originals. I followed the R.E.M.O.T.E. wall system out of Alaska for construction. After replacing windows, I house wrapped with a Lowe's product with very low moisture permeability over the existing siding, considering it as a layer of sheathing instead. I boxed all the openings outward to slightly exceed the expected thickness of the foam, furring and new siding. After painting, the end result was a quieter structure. Now with cold weather upon us, we have already enjoyed a warmer, non air leaking home. Our propane usage is down from past history. Since I did this myself, I saved the labor costs, although it increased the time of construction. This is a cost effective upgrade for us, and I do suggest a study of this method for a positive solution for an energy improving retrofit.
n7mog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to n7mog For This Useful Post:
Daox (12-02-19)