View Single Post
Old 01-23-14, 10:22 AM   #1
Daox
Administrator

Default Wood heating pros and cons

I got an email from HomePower today and this was one of the links in it. I love the idea of growing my own heat in my back yard. Anyway, its worth a read:

Efficient Heating with Wood | Home Power Magazine

Quote:
Wood straddles the line between being a renewable and a fossil fuel. It is a store of solar energy and atmospheric carbon that can be consumed at a pace similar to the rate at which it is produced—in which case it is renewable. Or it can be burned more quickly, acting more like a fossil fuel. Unlike with vehicles or other complex energy systems, pollution from wood heat remains largely unregulated, and there’s a high potential for misuse. That’s reason to become better informed about the technology and how—and when—to use it most efficiently.

So when is heating with wood an appropriate solution, both economically and environmentally? Five factors come into play:
- Ability to obtain local, sustainably produced fuel (firewood or pellets)
- Room for storage and/or drying firewood
- No atmospheric inversion problems
- Low population density
- Ability to source and install a high-efficiency wood- or biomass-burning heater

Attached Images

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Daox; 01-23-14 at 10:47 AM..
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote