View Single Post
Old 01-31-18, 05:53 AM   #2
Fordguy64
Journeyman EcoRenovator

ok so i started this a long time ago but now its actually happening. i sold one of the generators for 4 times what i paid for it and kept the second one. i now have a 5kw 240v gen head, an ac compressor off of a mazda3 and the old alt off of my truck(will eventually upgrade to heavier duty one). the alt will spin all the time and be controlled with the controller i mentioned above. im in the process of retrofitting a clutch off of an automotive ac compressor onto the gen head. that way i can turn it on and off for less wear on it when im not using it. im going to recover the heat from coolant and exhaust along with the ac compressor.

in the winter time ill recover all that heat and heat my garage or the house. and in the summer i can plumb the heat into the pool and the cold into the house or garage. the electrical load will most likely be the alt doing the most work. the gen head with be for back up. I have a ms4024 inverter thats a charger and inverter it also has 240v input and output.

IM planning on using a 3x8 30 plate exchanger for the coolant side of things.the motor will run no higher that 2600rpm.

ill need the most help sizing the refrigerant side of things. ive been trying to figure out what rpm i need to turn the compressor to get x amount of btu. my findings so far

So some general info.. from what I’ve found a 13k btu r22 compressor has a 18cc capacity per revolution. Assuming it runs at 3600rpm (I can’t find what speed it runs at) that turns into 64,800 cc a min for 13kbtu. The car ac compressor is between 100-120cc per revolution. To get to 3 tons heating/cooling the car compressor only needs to spin at roughly 1700 rpm. Obviously the nice thing about this system is that I can very the rpm of the motor a little to match the heatin/cooling load. The pulley I have for the drive is 6.25” and the pulley on the compressor is 4”. That puts my engine rpm at 1100 and I don’t think the little z482 will have the power to run it at that rpm but I’ll give it a try lol I’ll just have to keep an eye out for another pulley for the motor.

can anyone verify what rpm most compressors spin at? or if im even on the right track for this. ill need help sizing the FPHEs for the refrigerant side. i think ill just need 3ton sizing but a little bigger wouldn't hurt i suppose.

thoughts?

Fordguy64 is online now   Reply With Quote