View Single Post
Old 05-14-17, 03:03 PM   #3
CrankyDoug
Apprentice EcoRenovator

The early common rail Cummins engines in the Dodge pickups were notoriously sensitive to water in the fuel. I think this was mostly the result of inadequate filtering and water separation. I don't recall any commercial trucks with this engine having the same issues. Dodge was saving a few bucks per vehicle that ultimately cost owners thousands. Thus the perceived need for these aftermarket systems.

I bought a 1995 Dodge Cummins and was quite surprised to find it didn't have a water separator, thinking this was standard equipment on any diesel. Adding one, however, costs less than $50.

A fleet manager once told me diesel fuel can have 5% entrained air from agitation alone. If you've ever had an air bubble in your injector circuit you know how this can affect performance. So there is some merit to the claims made by Fass and Airdog regarding air.

Personally, I don't do business with companies that use the word BILLET in their literature or build websites that look like video games. And these $600 devices do break down which is why owners swear at them as much as by them.
CrankyDoug is offline   Reply With Quote