View Single Post
Old 01-31-17, 07:24 AM   #14
Ron342
Apprentice EcoRenovator

So, if i understand this, I can feed my 100w wind gen or my 400w of solar into one of those onexpensive grid tie inverters, plug the inverter outlet into the 120v plug at my shed circuit (where the solar and wind gen live) and that will feed whatever of that circuit load it can plus whatever other loads it can on other 120 circuits on the same 240 phase and yet will disconnect itself if the mains power dies? (Assuming it has that feature)

That means i only have to be sure i never produce enough to backfeed my smart meter because that would be costing me whatever was backfed. And i understand that the smartmeters also then can notify the utility that you have a backfeeding system with no agreement. Maybe a couple of big diodes in the 240 main lead in but that seems like overkill and would likely not meet code? Or maybe better, a current sensing coil on the main 240 lead in leg which would be set to kill the inverter if the incoming current dropped to an amp or 2?
My other problem would be being sure my relay system works so that only one (the highest bidder ) of the solar or wind gen gets connected to the inverter! Would be nice to have dual simultaneous inputs on the inverter, but we're now way past a cheap inverter i think!
Ron342 is offline   Reply With Quote