View Single Post
Old 12-28-20, 07:16 PM   #24
solarhotairpanels
Helper EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by menaus2 View Post
Just an update on the system. It's been operating for 9 years or so without a hitch although there have been some changes made to it years ago. First, I closed off the space between the collector and the roof since pigeons liked roosting up there. Second, instead of heating the apartment, I rerouted the ducts so air is drawn from and dumped in the basement. The apartment was heating up too much, and since the whole house thermostat for the boiler is located in that apartment, it was throwing off the temperature for the other apartments. This way heating is more even and helps prevent pipe freezes down there.

In the next year or two I would like to replace the glazing with twinwall polycarbonate. It will give it better performance in colder weather and a more professional look. The corrugated suntuff glazing has held up great, but with the roofing screws it has a ghetto-steampunk vibe that the building could do without.
Do you really think the twin wall poly would help to create more heat?
I didn't think it would make much difference from your original poly?

I agree it will look better (thinking of changing mine as well over to twin wall.) I have 2 hot air collectors in place at my house similar to yours.

Click here https://ecorenovator.org

and I have to tell ya.. when I saw you were sending all that heat into a kitchen first thing that came to mind was overheating the kitchen. but you have everything under control now including the pigeons. Good luck with your projects!

Please Note:
Comments and/or suggestions I make here at the forums on 'your' projects as well as my own have all been carefully and scientifically calculated by 'the seat of my pants'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
solarhotairpanels is offline   Reply With Quote