View Single Post
Old 09-17-16, 11:01 PM   #1
oil pan 4
Land owner

Default Next A/C: how big?

Does efficiency not scale up or what?
With the small 1 ton and smaller split units they go all the way up to 30 SEER, with 23~25 SEER being fairly common.
Then when I go to look for big split units such as the 2 ton I am only finding up to 20 SEER, I am assuming there are ones that go higher than 20 made by the big name brands but I am sure there is a pretty high premium for that higher efficiency.

I was thinking about getting a 2 ton split for the kitchen and dining room area and the living room to some degree.
The kitchen and dining room are kind of small 1960s era, only about 250 square feet The living room adds about another 150 or so square feet. So a "1,200 to 1,500" square feet air conditioner sounds kind of like over kill.
The kitchen and dining room has a fridge. The fridge is pretty much always giving off heat. And a stove that really heats up the house when cooking.
Should I stick with a smaller unit, say a 1 ton or 1.5 ton?
We rarely use the oven and if we do its always in cooler months.

So unless anything changes I am going to buy the system next spring (unless I can get a killer deal in the A/C off season).
I think I will buy a 2 ton 19 or 20 SEER, 230v powered unit. Unless you guys talk me out of it.
Looks like the out door unit on these 2 ton units weighs around 140lb.
Or is 2 ton just too much? Should I get a smaller unit?

Does anyone think I should hold out 5 or 6 months for higher efficiency units to come available?
Or should I try and catch a deal on a current unit in the A/C off season, in the dead of winter here in the next 2 or 3 months?
If I can save $100 or $200 on the air conditioner that's 2 or 3 summer power bills.

oil pan 4 is offline   Reply With Quote