View Single Post
Old 08-29-14, 05:51 AM   #6
Mikesolar
Master EcoRenovator

Nope, haven't had time to look through the slides but I will in the next day or so. I have been doing floor heat for 25+ years along with solar and other technologies and at the time I started, the ONLY info came from Wirsbo and from REHAU (and to a lesser degree HeatLink). I still have those old binders with the design criteria which I took to heart and other than for radiant cooling, the ideas have not changed.

But we in North America are always trying to re-invent or re-discover something and make it our own. It is logical to some degree because the Europeans don't build with wood structured floors the way we do and weh have to put up with nutty owners or architects trying to get 60btu/ft2 from a floor system. In Europe, this would just not happen because architects must have a heating background as well.

I have always tried to build to the designs that come from over there because I have seen that everything new and more efficient in the heating world is European and has been since I started.

Their rules of thumb are mass, mass and mass, tighter spacing for tubing and lower temps. Period. They do ceiling stuff and wall stuff but 99% is floor and there must be a reason.

There is a diagram which you have probably seen showing the temp gradients with floor heat, ceiling heat, convectors and forced air. It was around 30 years ago and is still quite valid.

I think Siggy is trying to be brand neutral and focus on fundamentals which to me haven't changed in decades so I don't go for the webinars that rehash these things. OTOH, if there was one on the Swedish bikini team building a slab on grade, very high insulation, slab heated foundation, I would probably watch, haha.
Mikesolar is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mikesolar For This Useful Post:
buffalobillpatrick (09-10-14)