View Single Post
Old 05-09-12, 10:14 AM   #27
Acuario
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by S-F View Post
Xringer, if you aren't going to dig deeper like I said you're just going to have to trust me when I say that it's almost impossible to control a mini split with an IR blaster. Both AC and IR blaster manufacturers have been talking about this for years and to my knowledge no one has managed to get it to work.
Although it's not the method I'm using I would tend to agree with S-F. In the thread you pointed us to on refrigeration-engineer the reason he didn't follow that route was lack of feedback. The problem with remote controls is they are one-way only so yes, I'm sure you can emulate some functions but you can never guarantee the status of the machine before sending the command. The only thing you could assume is that it is on so send the command to turn it off and start from zero.

The other problem with IR is it's light so if the remote isn't in view of the machine it won't operate it. There are machines that have a mode where the thermometer is in the handset and they tell the machine what the temperature is where the remote is placed, thereby controlling the machine, but I guess they must have some fallback in case of communication failure (as you described Xringer).
Acuario is offline   Reply With Quote