View Single Post
Old 02-26-11, 10:14 PM   #64
bennelson
Home-Wrecker

Okee Dokeee.
Here's some photos.

Here's the pile of parts I bought at the store. I pretty much built my project in the store isle to make sure I had all the right parts and adapters.

First thing was to put an adapter into the 1.25" drain plug in the bottom of the stock tank. This is where I will now draw water from. (Previously, the water was drawn out the top of the tank, through some flexible PEX tubing, to the pump.)

I used a bushing adapter to take the 1.25" connection down to 3/4", which I used for the rest of the project.

Right there, I also added a union - a way to connect and disconnect everything without trying to unscrew a big mass of pipes in tight spaces. Coming off that is a cross connector. That gives me one in (the tank) to three outs - a drain, an overflow, and the pump.

Here, you can see the valve with the blue handle is going to be the drain branch.

The elbow on the back, facing up, is for the overflow. I measured a distance up to a point that would be just below the top of the tub - about 9 inches.

On top of that, I put a tee, with the top open to atmosphere, and the side port going out to the drain.

Here's everything all together.

In the upper left, there's the brass check valve going to the pump. Off to the bottom left, those two pipes go to my sump pump crock. Should I need to drain the stock tank, I can open the blue valve. If the tank gets too full, it will go to that top pipe and start draining before going over the rim of the tank. The open-topped tee prevents the overflow from siphoning out all the water once it got going.

I filled the tank directly (that's what the garden hose is for) and tested the drain, then filled it all the way to test the overflow. After that, I plugged the pump back in. It seemed to work fine. However, I am still getting a bit of a pressure drop after the pump kicks off. It might be because the check valve is higher up. I should probably have it at a lower point.

Oh well, for now, I will try as it is.

Here's the pump with pressure tank and pressure valve.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by bennelson; 02-26-11 at 10:15 PM.. Reason: pump photo
bennelson is offline   Reply With Quote