View Single Post
Old 05-10-13, 08:02 AM   #17
Ryland
Master EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkM66 View Post
I liked the idea of cooling the basement further with the window unit, and then circulating that through the house with the hvac fan. As I would think it would use less energy then operating the big a/c unit.

But maybe it's not worth the effort.
If you need to cool your basement then cool your basement and if it's hot out and your basement is damp then dry it out with an air conditioner dumping that heat outside.
Having the A/C up stairs then non of that cooled air is making it's way to the basement unless I open the basement door way and at that point I might still have to put a fan at the top of the stairs.

What I learned tho is that the energy that it takes to move air from the basement up in to the rest of the house is not worth it and that it takes the least amount of energy of course to cool the part of the house that you want cool or in my case to make it dryer/less muggy.

I keep a single 40 watt box fan handy in the summer to move the air conditioned air around the house, I suppose I could switch on the furnace fan for a few minutes but at 600 watts for the furnace fan I'm not sure it's worth even running it for 5 minutes, but I might try it, I think it would take about 15-20 minutes do to a full air exchange and even out the air temp in the whole house, but also having the Air Conditioner up stairs at the top of the stairs lets the natural convection move the air for me.
Ryland is offline   Reply With Quote