View Single Post
Old 05-08-13, 03:57 PM   #15
Ryland
Master EcoRenovator

What I ended up doing was getting a window A/C unit and putting it upstairs in a window and it works really well to cool the whole house, the main thing is keeping the house dry, It's at the top of the stairs so because cold air sinks it also cools the downstairs and drys the air out down there.
I ended up going with a new air conditioner that has a remote, at first it seemed kind of hokey but the remote has a temp sensor in it and as long as it can "see" the air conditioner it can control it, so I set the remote's temp and it clicks on as needed, it also had some programming options, like run for an hour or two then turn off or wait a few hours then turn on.

The window A/C also drys out the house really quickly, I have a in door out door thermometer that reads humidity as well and it does a much better job of keeping the house dry and comfertable then the basement dehumidifier does.
Having that info of temp and humidity both in doors and out doors is priceless! sure it might feel cool because of the breeze but opening that window might just make the house hot and muggy.

I also took my infrared thermometer and checked the surface temp of my basement walls and they are around 60F in the winter and 70F in the peek heat of the summer, so pretty good for a 107 year old house with sand stone foundation.

Last edited by Ryland; 05-08-13 at 03:59 PM..
Ryland is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ryland For This Useful Post:
Piwoslaw (05-09-13)