Old 02-01-21, 06:58 PM   #9
IamIan
Lurking Renovator

For electrical storage .. mainly to run the HVAC system:

Low self Discharge
Low calendar aging
High cycle life
High cycle efficiency
Ideally used or older cells (reduce / reuse/ recycle)
It's a stationary system so weight isn't as important as it would be in a mobile system.

I currently plan to use , used LTO and/or LiFePO4.

Both of which have good round trip cycle wh efficiency ~95% .. both have very low yearly self discharge less than ~5% .. both have very high useful life to both cycles and calendar aging effects .. and both are among the safest flavors in the Li family.

If I am able to eventually move my whole ~7Mwh a year of HVAC loads to a ~3COP heat pump system that would need ~2.3Mwh per year / 365 = ~6.4kwh per average 24 hr day .. of course more in winter , less in spring/fall .. winter time is my peak .. my record worst day so far was ~38kwh @ ~3COP = I would need about ~12.7kwh

I already have ~7.7kwh of used Toshiba SCiB LTO cells .. I've already tested them .. I may or may not add more on later .. we'll see .. but I think it will be at least a good 'entry' level battery back up system.

I also already have ~11kwh of LiFePO4 A123 20Ah pouch cells .. I've already tested .. 5-7kwh of that plan to go into an upgrade add on to my PHEV .. which will leave 4-6kwh of them I could also add to the house battery system .. if I do , that would bring the house up to 11.7 - 13.7kwh .. that would bring the combined system up near my worst case HVAC loads for an entire day from electrical battery power alone.

If I had to .. I could tap into the 8-10kwh that will also be in my upgraded PHEV battery .. which would bring it up to ~21.7kwh .. or worst case , If I was desperate , run the PHEV ICE as a gasoline generator , ~10Gallon tank of gasoline could provide between 73-107 kwh more electricity (depending on operating details) before needing to go ~2miles and get more gasoline.

I am not planning to go 100% off grid right away .. Soo , unless the grid is down (black out) , I really only need a small enough buffer battery to run the HVAC system while the sun comes in and out of clouds and such , and for a few hours at night .. 100% off grid would require some significant upgrades .. which I might or might not do in the future .. this system will be modular enough that such upgrades will be possible without too much trouble.
IamIan is offline   Reply With Quote