View Single Post
Old 01-21-14, 03:47 PM   #10
Robaroni
Journeyman EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinballlooking View Post
I got a bunch of these
EcoSmart 40W Equivalent Bright White (3000K) A19 LED Light Bulb (4-Pack)-ECS GP19 WW 40WE 120 at The Home Depot
They use 6 watts about $5 a bulb and they are Dimmable
I really think they are brighter than a 40 watt bulb.

I have these in my 3 light fans and on my porch outside lights even my vanity lights in the bath rooms.
I'm going to pick a pack of these, thanks Mark.

OK, here's my take. I get all the latest electronic trade journals and chip manufacturers literature including lots of free chip samples. The electronics for LEDs is here, maybe some refinements but the efficiency of the power supplies is very good and a lot of chip producers have been actively designing chips for LEDs for awhile now.
Some of the big LED manufacturers (Lumiled, etc.) are doing better with the formulas also but there's a way to go yet and the big hurdle is still cooling.

I have a few LEDs in the house now and they're quite good but like most of you I still run CFLs which I have a lot of. They last better than the first generation, which failed left and right (poor electronics), but CFL's aren't my favorite bulbs. There are issues with the light causing sleep problems, so don't read by CFL's in bed before you go to sleep.

In my view five years from now, at the most LED's are going to rule.

Rob
Robaroni is offline   Reply With Quote