View Single Post
Old 07-09-12, 11:33 PM   #2
Ryland
Master EcoRenovator

I've done plaster and stucco on straw bale houses, I've also done plaster repair and plaster takes skill, the up side is plaster is not perfectly flat! so when you notice a line from a seam in dry wall it's because the rest of it is flat and smooth, plaster is not so a variation blends in quite well!
If you do go with plaster, Durrabond is a nice base coat, it's not easy to sand, you scrape it to get bumps out, the Easy Sand dry mix is the way to go for a finish coat, it's a great dry wall joint compound as well because it drys faster and shrinks less, but once you mix it you are stuck using that or loosing it.

Blue Board looks like dry wall, but is grey/blue and denser, it has a course paper on it that is designed for a plaster like skim coat to give that plaster look and feel.
Cement board should work the same way but I've never used it.

You can also do blood lath, it's the metal lath that you nail to the studs, put a coat of mortar on as a base coat, then a brown coat that in plaster terms might be something like durrabond, then a sandable coat to finish it.
Ryland is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ryland For This Useful Post:
Daox (07-10-12)