View Single Post
Old 08-30-17, 04:09 PM   #26
nokiasixteth
Journeyman EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff5may View Post
Okay so you have decided to go with a grid-tie system and 240 watt panels. Most likely you will be going with Enphase micro inverters or Solar Edge power optimizers and string inverter. The only practical difference between the two technologies is whether you plan on running some sort of backup battery bank in the future. If you do, the solar edge system has support built into it to expand later at minimal cost. The two technologies are very close to each other as to performance and price. Both brands have very high ratings as to quality and reliability.

The next step in your plan is to figure out what kind of net metering contract your power utility is willing to negotiate and for how long. Most of the utilities offer single meter connection 4 home users. The main factor to consider is how they count your usage. Many power utilities average your usage out over a long period of time (days or weeks) rather than calculating it real time. This works in your favor because you can generate power and feed it to the grid during the day and draw that power back out at night for free. A few power utilities have employed time-of-use billing which pays you less during the day and charges you more at night so it doesn't pay back as quick. Once you figure out the billing schedule and structure it is easy to calculate the perfect size of array to maximize your investment.
Grid tie for sure . Until they start shafting then hopefully battery tech will be cheaper and better so that wouldnt be a problem . I have been looking at all 3 trying to decide . Seen one last night . The sunnyboy . It has a dedicated circuit that lets you pull juice from your pannels ,thats in event of a power outtage during the day time . This would come in handy. The original plan was microinverters . Havent really done a ton of researching on those yet . At the moment mine dont have the time of use . As of now . Im sure they have thought about it . But for now they dont have that system in place . The battery bank . I have thought about for my major appliances like the fridge and a few small things like computer and tv and for here fans would be a must because the heat makes bad situations worse . During winter our winter dont get cold enough to matter i have a wood burning insert (if need be used .) But for now im all the way doing grid tie . Financially for me it wouldnt make sense not too do grid tie because of reliability.
What is your thoughts on the sunny boy .
nokiasixteth is offline   Reply With Quote