View Single Post
Old 08-12-11, 02:49 AM   #12
Piwoslaw
Super Moderator

The wife and I planned to make a bat house over the winter, but we kinda forgot. I read that there are different bat house designs for different species, so you should find out which are the most common in your area.

We have some lavender in front of our house and the only difference it made is that mosquitos don't land on it. I'll add that this is the second summer in a row with LOTS of rain (and flooding), so there are so many little buggers that they are desperate. They don't seem to care about the basil growing in our kitchen, either, nor the garlic that's laying around on the counters

I decided that since I can't get keep them away, then maybe I could make a trap. I'm not too keen on traps which use gas, electricity and/or chemicals, so I found a DIY version. You put water, sugar and yeast into a soda bottle, the yeast produces CO2 to lure them in, after which they stick to the water and drown.

After a week there wasn't a single skeeter in the trap, but the fruitflies just love it So now it's in the kitchen luring the flies away from our fruits and veggies. The mosquitos in the kitchen don't seem to be interested. Maybe I got the water/sugar/yeast proportions wrong.

So, I'm still using the best working solution I know of: