View Single Post
Old 01-30-15, 07:39 PM   #3
ecomodded
Supreme EcoRenovator

You could put your hot water tank on a timer to only heat during the off peak hours.
I don't get metered by peak hours so I don't use one but if I did I would buy a timer.

Do all laundry in the off peak hours.

You can tune your TV to consume less watts by adjusting Picture mode , I can set my LCD tv setting to 2 out of 10 on the picture mode and save 100 watts. I turn up the brightness level to compensate , it works great.

Buy LED replacement bulbs in the few lights you use most often. Not sure if you use electric heat but if you do like I do keep the temperature at 68 and wear indoor shoes to offset the temperature.

Super heating the hot water just to later add cold water to make it useable is a exercise in wastefulness and futility IMO

So I keep my hot water tank at a nice hot bathing temperature , but no hotter then I can stand without the need to add cold water, I think this is the best energy hack as hot water tanks use about 6000w

Doing extensive draft sealing should not be overlooked.

Installing poly plastic over the window frames is effective at increasing the windows R value and will cut down on heating costs.

I have low electric bills due to my efforts , my house is heated by baseboard electric heat and my electric bill is lower then some people I know who use geothermal heat pumps but don't bother to conserve.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
ecomodded is offline   Reply With Quote