View Single Post
Old 02-26-14, 08:49 PM   #17
philb
Apprentice EcoRenovator

I think Jeff is correct.
With my http://ecorenovator.org/forum/solar-...-hookup-2.html, the first 1.2 kW recharges the 12 nearly new batteries. On a sunny day, I will use a total of 5.8 kW. That's out of 2,280 watts of solar panels.

Two hours after dark is about all the system will tolerate while running a small electric heater without going deeper than 50% battery discharge.

On the first solar setup I have is close to being identical to the temporary setup except it has 1,880 watts with 12 golf cart batteries. It runs a small electric heater 24/7 inside an old freezer. (That keeps items like glue and paint from freezing in the winter.) During the day, I use the chop saws, lights, drills and even a mortar mixer without any issues. When the batteries are fully charged on this system, the charge controller diverts the excess power to a chest type freezer. I wanted to see if the system would keep up and it does. The freezer has 5 five gallon buckets of water that stays frozen all the time. BTW, the panels are also propped up with 4x4 scraps of wood to allow the water to run off. It could be more efficient by orienting them to about 35 degrees at this time of the year for more power.

Maybe this will help you decide the best route to go. Also, a good quality charge controller is very important. I have a Midnite Solar Classic that takes 147 VDC from the solar panels, then steps the voltage down to 24 volts for battery charging. Higher voltage in the panels mean smaller copper wire = money saved.
philb is offline   Reply With Quote